Yes, we can put glass in the oven after ensuring that our usable glass is microwave safe. Glass container is best for microwaving food as long as it doesn’t have gold or silver rims. Otherwise, we can comfortably use glass at the time of microwaving.
Sometimes we face several questions like, what kind of glass can be used in the oven? Can you put glass in the oven? Why my glass shattered at microwaving time?
According to this question here I present an article where would find all the answer whatever you want to know. For my readers concern I also input some those will help to find good glasses, keep glasses safe from breaking and other using problem issues.
Process to Put Glass in The Oven
A very simple job. But before use must ensure what glass is suitable for your oven and what temperature suits the glass. Glass cookware doesn’t handle temperature changes all time. When glass is at room temperature this is the best time to put glass in the oven.
If you go straight from the fridge or freezer to the oven, you will call some trouble for you. You will face some risk like cracking or breaking glass problem. So, never go straight in this matter.
- Firstly, take your glass container from fridge that contain your particular food item and put it at room temperature for sometime until it gets normal.
- Preheat your oven that helps to cook fast and reduce cracking risk.
- At last, put the container into the oven gently close the door and click the start button for microwaving.
Benefits of Heating Food in The Glass Container
Among all types of container those we used for cooking glass container is best. Its nonporous and impermeable characteristics are really amazing those provides a lot of benefits for us. Mostly helps to present flavorful, fresh and tasty food. Here, have some other interesting benefits let’s watch:
Several cookware is available in the local market those release toxins on food after heating on high heat. And these toxins are really harmful for health. But glass container not release any toxin and chemical product on food. For this glass container is best for cooking among all of them.
Glass container contain clear surface that reason we can see all the content of foods while it cooking. On the other hand, we only can see the top surface when we cook food by using other type cookware.
Retains Heat Longer:
Retain heat longer is one of the most beneficial fact of glass cookware. We can also determine this container as a idle form of container that keep food nice, warm for long time.
Storages and Reheating Advantages:
For reheating and storing food for long time glass container is the best solution. Very easy to put food in the fridge with this container. Get not any trouble to reheat food. So, guys guess ‘what have the first priority?’
Easy to Clean:
Sometimes cleaning became more difficult job than cooking. After cooking for long time our dish container badly attacked by oily food product that is very hard to clean. But glass container saves us from this problem because its so easy to clean.
Watch Your Food Cooking Process:
Another good thing of glass container is that we can see whole cooking process perfectly. In this way, we can enjoy process as well as can save food from burning too. Etc.
Reasons for Breaking Glass in The Oven
Carelessness is one of the reasons for breaking glass in the oven. Cause whatever we do we need to know about that perfectly. In that case, before putting glasses in the oven we should learn about it’s using process and warnings too. Otherwise, we would face several problems after use glass in the oven.
Most of the time our glass cookware shatter in the oven. It can happen for different reasons. Let’s check out.
1. Drastic Temperature Changes:
It is one of the main reasons for breaking glass in the oven. A sudden increase or decrease of temperature that is called thermal shock in short is the responsible for this situation.
Although some glasses can sustain very high temperature but they can’t sustain sharp fluctuation in temperature. And that usually happened when we put glass directly fridge to oven.
2. Damage Glass:
Other reasons for breaking glass in the oven. That’s why you should examine your glass cookware before using it for cooking. It’s very important to ensure glass container must be oven safe and not damage. Not to get any cracks or scratch in the glasses body don’t use any damage glass cookware in your oven.
3. Wrong Type of Glass:
The glass which is not heat-resistant that must be broken after using in the oven. Wrong glasses always this kind of problem. So, never use this type glass during microwaving your food which is not basically labeled as oven safe. And go with perfect one that specially set for this particular job.
4. High Heat:
Glass cookware can’t take high heat for long time. For having best result keep the temperature under 450 F. Max temperature never damage any glasses at all. To reduce risk of breaking glasses everyone should try to maintain a proper temperature that good for food as well as using glasses.
5. Existing Wear and Tear:
If we put glass cookware in the oven where exist wear and tear immediately it will break. When glasses subjected to a lot of wear and tear it get scratches by absorbing high temperature of oven. Cause, that time glasses lose their capability to hold together and can’t withstand of changing shape.
6. Cook Without Liquid:
On high heat if we cook dry food without liquid in the oven, our glass container could explode a lot that unbearable for oven and after that glass would break or get scratch. Due to cook without liquid on high heat our food start expands unevenly and this excessive pressure ultimately break down our glasses.
Procedure to Keep Glasses Safe from Breaking
With proper effort we can keep our glass container safe from breaking in the oven. A few precautionary steps can prevent the risk of breaking glasses in the oven.
Here, present some amazing steps those would help everyone to keep their glasses cookware safe. Let’s check out:
- Ensure the Glass is oven Safe: Oven safe glasses made with some strong materials those doesn’t contact and expend unevenly. They are durable and have ability to withstand on high temperature. You can find this glass in the market because it labeled as oven-safe before. Breaking problem easily can prevent by using this kind of glasses.
- Defrost the Glass: Cold glasses can’t take sudden temperature fluctuation. That’s why it would break when you put cold glasses in the oven. To avoid shattering you should stabilize the temperature by defrosting glass cookware before. After that your glass won’t crack just because of low difference of temperature.
- Leave Enough Space for Food to Expand: Sufficient space is very important in this case. Roast chicken, bakery and beef items normally expands while being cooked. If our dish container doesn’t have enough space, it feels so much pressure by expanding food and after that the glass might break. So, during cooking you should leave enough space for food.
- Add liquid for Dry Food: When we cook dry food it likely releases some water content and finds a way to expand on the surface of the glass. If we add a thin layer of water at the bottom layer of the glass, this water will help to cook or bake food perfectly without burning and cracking.
- Look for Scratches in the Glass: A small scratch or cracks can get bigger form when we reuse that for cooking. Temperature changes badly effects on scratches glasses specially. For this, you have to look for any scratches is present in your glasses or not.
- Don’t Change Temperature Drastically: Sometimes we see that oven safe glasses also break down for drastic temperature changes. That’s why try to avoid changes temperature drastically. Drastic changes is not only bad for glasses but also bad for oven. So, just try to follow this instruction while microwaving.
- Preheat Oven First: It’s a very common mistake that usually we do. As a result, sudden changing heat cycle break our glass cookware and sometimes scratches only, right? Just because, always try to preheat your oven first that would help to hold temperature at right level and keep glasses safe.
- Be careful in Using Metal Utensils with Glassware. And don’t put glassware on Top of wet or cold surface.
Way to Know Glass is Oven Safe or Not
First of all, glass is oven safe or not this point depends on its heat resistant quality. We can say the glass is oven safe only when this glass is designed to resist thermal shock. Heat resistant glass is specially used for kitchen works and industrial applications.
But the question is “how do we know glass is oven safe or not?” For questioner’s concern here give some important points those will help to find out the answer.
- Firstly, check out the level that normally mentioned the product is oven safe or not.
- If that not mentioned anywhere than check its heat resistance capacity.
- Next can check what temperature is fixed for it. Or how long it can be heated.
- Designs and characteristics also helps to know products efficiency. So, you can also find out that.
Extra information: Some common kitchen items those not allow for oven use. They are:
- Paper towels
- Aluminum foil
- Cast iron skillets
- Wax paper
Some Strong Glasses Those Can Withstand High Heat
Heat resistant glasses are very durable and strong than other ordinary glasses. Which specially designed to hold out against thermal shock. They don’t shatter for sudden temperature changes as well as not extant easily on high temperature. So, ‘who still search such glasses which can withstand on high heat?’
- Chemically Tempered Glass: A process of hardening in thin soda-line glass for use. Helps to keep flatness and make the surface together where have no internal stress. Here, the features of this glass:
- Suits for high heat.
- Can go up to 450 degree.
- 020 inches to 1/8 inches is the thickness of this glass.
- Tempered Glass:
- 1/8 inches to 1 inch thick.
- Temperature range 450 degrees.
- Have color difference including blue, cobalt blue, green, gray, bronze, acid-etches.
- Pyrex Glass:
- 20 inches thick.
- 1300 degrees to 1427 degrees temperature range.
- Available in clear and white colors.
- Usable in the oven, at the fire place.
- Robax Glass:
- Thickness: – 0.118 inches to 0.197 inches.
- Temperature range between 400 degrees to 1400 degrees.
- Available colors: brocade, carbon black, amber gold, lava black, satin silver, anthracite, polar white and copper.
- Oven safe as well as used at fireplace and wood burning stove windows.
- Vycor Glass:
- Used in coat burning stoves.
- 1/8 inches to ¾ inches thick.
- Can tolerate 1700 degrees to 2200 degrees.
- Comes only in a transparent color with polished surface.
- Quartz Glass:
- 1700 degrees to 2200 degrees.
- Mostly used in high-temp areas.
- Have polished surface in transparent color.
Necessity of Preheating Oven Before Putting Glasses
Oven preheating process is very important for several reasons. The users who don’t know about preheating necessity please check out for once:
- Helps to cook fast.
- Reduce the risk of breaking, scratching glass container.
- Maintain perfect temperature.
- Helps to get desired temperature.
- Assist to keep perfect atmosphere and doing internal works accurately.
Here, have some warnings too. Don’t open the door frequently during preheating your oven. Otherwise, that would disturb preheating works and it would loss expected temperature.
To know elaborately, you should check use and care guide details. There indicates clearly using process, preheating process also have guidance what to do and what not to do. Also have time duration how long this oven takes to be heated. So, don’t miss any key point and carefully follow all the instructions while working.
Works When Glass Shattered in The Oven
Sometimes our carelessness calls a big trouble. That time please don’t be panic and try to handle problem gently. When your glass container shatter in the oven, don’t get busy to collect pieces of glasses. Just follow this steps that I mentioned.
- First of all, protect yourself.
- Allow the oven to cool down before doing anything.
- After that, pick up the pieces of glasses shards gently including food which spoiled.
- Use baking soda to clean stubborn food residue.
- Before reuse your oven carefully check your ovens inside is there have any broken glasses and spoiled food.
- Don’t use this oven if its bodies glasses is shattered too. Otherwise, you can use your oven no problem.
Some Important Tips for New User
Although most of the people know about microwave and its works a little amount. But all really don’t know how to use it perfectly and if face problem when use how to recover that.
New users always conscious about some topics like what is perfect container? How to utilize them? And sometimes if something happened unpleasant than, how to solve that?
Presents some tips specially for new user’s concern:
- Obviously, select perfect container that basically suits on your oven.
- Avoid too much high heat.
- Don’t put glass container freezer to oven and oven to kitchen sink.
- Don’t add liquid to hot glass container directly.
- Never place hot bakeware on cold or wet surface.
- Glass container is not safe to use in stovetop, in a toaster oven or under a broiler.
- Use right temperature to get desired result.
Also Read: How Long To Bake A Pie In The Oven
At bottom, just can say straightly glass is usable for microwaving infect this is the best choice for this job. Some basic procedure needs to follow for better result. When we put cold glasses in the oven that time temperature changes quite rapidly and unevenly. Just because of that undemanding and unnecessary things are happened.
Every works has its own characters and rules to follow. As the topic is about putting glass cookware in the oven, I can suggest please follow actual procedure and Enjoy your meals.