Plain bread is not enjoyable. A regular bread can be eaten with juice or tea, but toasted bread is preferable as the toasting process changes the flavor and taste of a classic bread piece. The myth comes with different bread options. People think that white bread contains more fattening substances than brown bread. They also feel that toasting bread reduces calories.
Does toasting bread reduce calories? The actual answer to this question is- NO. Bread contains the same calories, whatever condition it is in. Many things arrived with the answer to this question. You should know the details to understand the matter entirely.
Let’s dig deep into this matter.
Does Toasting Bread Reduce Calories?
When we talk about toasted bread and regular bread differences, there are also differences between brown, white, and whole wheat bread. The primary differences between them are healthy nutrients.
Brown bread or whole-wheat bread contains fiber, minerals, vitamins, and phytonutrients in the outside layer, absent in the white bread. Since these nutrients are valuable to keep the blood sugar level stable and maintain the digestive system, the outer brown layer is removed to make the white bread. That’s why this difference comes.
On the other hand, toasted bread and untoasted bread both are bread. So, there is no difference in calories between them. Toasting is a cooking process that heats the bread and removes the water. The toasting process does change or affect the nutrients. It only changes the smells and flavor while removing the water. So, there is no chance to remove the calorie content from the bread.
Since the toasting process cannot change the nutritional value, both toasted and toasted bread contain similar calories, fat, protein, and carbohydrate.
A regular piece of whole-grain bread contains- 69 calories, 3 grams protein, 1-gram fat, and 11 grams of carbohydrate. This value does not change after toasting. But the fact is that plain bread is not fun. People like to toast bread with some accessories. Many people want to have toasted bread with butter or avocado as toppings. The calorie count changes, and it is-
The calorie of bread toasted with butter is about 170, and the calorie of toasted bread is about 230. So, the calorie count can increase if you add accessories to improve the taste of bread.
Toasting can change calories if the process runs for a long time. But long-time toasting can burn the bread. Slight toasting cannot change the calorie or anything. Heavily burned bread creates changes.
While toasting can make chemical reactions only at outer surfaces, heavy toasting can change more molecules. It can change the calorie count to some noticeable extent. But the heavily toasted bread or burned bread is inedible. So, it is a void point to think or count.
Other Effects After Toasting Bread
Toasting may not change the calorie count but did it make any change? Though the difference can be minimal, there is some change in other matters or nutrients inside the toasted bread.
- The toasting process creates some chemical reactions. Under these reactions, it breaks some molecules in the outer part of the bread. Then it vaporizes water to some extent. But these reactions and vaporization cannot change the calorie count.
- If we think of the weight loss benefit of toasted bread, we also think of carbohydrates and gluten. As for the calorie count, there is minimal change in carbohydrates and gluten. The toasting process cannot eliminate the gluten count at all. But there is shown in some reports that the glycemic index gets lowered a bit after toasting the bread.
- There is a remarkable fact on carb and gluten count for toasted bread. It takes more time to digest and break down toasted bread molecules than untoasted bread. Then it slower the use of insulin in the digestion process. This procedure reduces the blood sugar spiking effect. Simultaneously, it can help a bit in the weight loss process as blood sugar resistance is linked to weight loss. So, in turn, it can be said that toasted bread works indirectly in weight loss.
Maybe, this is the reason for the myth about the toasted bread calorie count. The reduction in the blood sugar spike works almost the same for different bread varieties. White bread is the most-consumed bread variety which was used for the carbohydrate and gluten count studies more. So, the evidence is more for white bread.
- When toasting the bread, there appear some chemical reactions. This reaction can change the form of starches while reducing the water content for the heat. The change of starch makes the bread more digestible than untoasted bread. So, people who have a problem digesting the bread can easily toast it and digest it smoothly. Besides, better digestion is possible if you have whole-grain or sprouted grain bread. The sprouting process can also break bread starches, making them easier to digest.
Demerit Of Toasting Bread
No, there is not much to worry about the demerits of toasted bread. There is only one demerit that can be avoided easily. But you have to know it to stay out of this problem.
Toasting creates a chemical on bread. The name of this chemical is acrylamide. Is this harmful? Yes, this is harmful enough to worry about as it can lead to cancer if consumed long or at a high level.
But the fact is that acrylamide is only found in heavily toasted bread. This chemical is likely to produce during the high-temperature cooking process when the food contains amino acid asparagine and natural sugars. Bread includes these nutrients, and so, it can create acrylamide. In the toasting process, high temperature is used, so this chemical is produced efficiently.
But as we already have told above, there is a simple way to avoid acrylamide production. Do not toast the bread more and make it dark brown. Besides, dark brown tasted bread is not tasty as there creates a bit of burned flavor.
So, toast the bread lightly and have a safe and delicious toasted bread. Even if you toast it heavily, do not eat the dark-brown part of the bread. Then there is nothing to worry about acrylamide at all. Toasted bread has another demerit that is not so noteworthy. Toasted bread loses vitamin B a bit than typical untoasted bread.
How To Get Full Benefit From Toasted Bread?
- As most dieticians suggest that you eat a healthy variety of food, maintaining a balance in nutrient uptake, we should choose food items from the specific groups. According to the recommendation of the US Department of Agriculture, we should eat a minimum of six ounces of nutrients from the grain food group per day.
- Three ounces of grains can come from whole grain sources, preferable as their suggestions. So, you can use whole grain bread to toast and have. Whole grain bread can provide you with complete grain or fiber supplement for each day which you cannot have from white bread. Besides, the sprouted pieces of bread are also preferable as they are easy to digest.
- Careful about taking grain nutrients from toasted pieces of bread. A regular size toast piece contains one ounce in grain weight. It is not wise to take six ounces of grain intake from toasted bread and plan to have six pieces per day. In this case, you have to track the grain intake from other food that you have each day and limit taking other grain food to keep a balance. Besides, whole-grain toasted bread can be high in carbohydrate count. So, it can be the cause of weight gain.
- The perfect serving weight for toasted bread can be three ounces or three regular slices.
- Toasted bread is an excellent food for breakfast. It is because it can run the metabolism for the whole day. You do not feel hungry for a more extended period. Toasted bread also increases your energy level, which can be great to start your morning. It is also perfect to have toasted bread between heavy meal times in snack time. So, maintain time to enjoy the full benefit of toasted bread and be energetic.
Merits Of Toasted Bread
- Folate and thiamine are the recommended substance for our health. Toasted bread contains 4 percent of folate and thiamine.
- Between toasted and untoasted bread types, diabetes patients are recommended to have toasted bread. It is for the glycemic index difference as mentioned above. Lowering glycemic index in toasted bread works deep for blood sugar level spike control. Besides, toasted bread contains slightly low fat compared to untoasted bread. This fat count may be significantly less, but it matters when you plan to have bread every day in your breakfast.
- So, the heart patients who need to control the fat content or cholesterol level should choose the toasted bread between the toasted and untoasted one. In the weight controller, toasted pieces of bread are preferable to untoasted bread.
- Toasted bread is known as a portion of a particular cure for Diarrhea. It effectively treats Diarrhea and toughens stool. The special potion to treat Diarrhea is BRAT, a combination of bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toasted bread. This combination is famous for its efficient benefit.
- Toasted bread is known as the energy booster agent. Most starch-contained food has a high glycemic index, and toasted bread has high starch content and low glycemic index. So, it boosts our energy to a great level. It is the perfect breakfast item to start the energetic morning.
- Toasted bread is a great treating agent for nausea. It is not a very popular but effective solution. Milk toast bread is more effective in getting rid of nauseous feelings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How is toasted bread a healthy option?
Ans: Toasted bread is a great option to keep our health fit. It slowly lowers the fat intake. It is because the fat content reduces in bread after toasting. Besides, the glycemic index is less in toasted bread than untoasted bread, which lowers the risk of a blood sugar spike.
Q: Why the toasted bread seems more filling than untoasted bread?
Ans: After the toasting process, bread loses its moisture for water evaporation. Thus, the bread mass becomes smaller in toasted bread than untoasted bread. That’s why toasted bread feels more filling.
Q: Can I have toasted bread in my everyday breakfast?
Ans: Many dieticians agree that it is good to have toasted bread every day for breakfast. But the best option is to add the whole-grain toasted bread as a breakfast item which can work as the whole grain variety intake. You also can add some nutritious ingredients as toppings, including avocado, eggs, or salmon fish.
Q: Can the freezing process reduce carbs?
Ans: As the heat can change food carb content, freezing can do too. If you freeze bread, it can turn the starch inside the food into resistant starch. So, the calorie content can be a little low for this change.
Q: Why is toasted bread tastier than plain bread?
Ans: Toasted bread goes through a specialized process known as the Maillard reaction. This process makes the food tastier. This process is a chemical reaction between amino acids and the sugar of bread.
When the toasting process runs, the Maillard reaction causes a non-enzymatic browning through sugar and amino acid reactions. It is almost like the caramelization process, which increases the taste.
Many people like to have bread after toasting. People are also conscious of their weight gain. That’s why people ask-does toasting bread reduce calories? It is essential because plain or toasted bread is a favorite breakfast item worldwide. After this detailed discussion, we understood that toasting bread makes fewer differences.
Maybe, it is lesser, but it is considered to have toasted bread regularly. When we eat bread every day, the matter becomes high. It matters with the calorie content and the carbohydrate, fat, and glycemic content. Since we benefit from toasted bread, we can enjoy the taste of toasted bread worry-free.