Pie in different fillings is tasty and healthy. People all over the world love the smell of hot-baled pie. It seems pretty tricky to make them in proper crisp and softness. It all depends on the temperature of baking and timing.
If you bake them longer than required, they can be chewier or hard crusty. If you bake them for less time than needed, pies can remain uncooked in some parts. It is essential to know how long to cook a pie in the oven.
With a deep knowledge of timing for baking, temperature requirement at the baking time, and how to understand that the pie is well-done, you can be an expert. So, let’s dig deep and know more.
How Long To Cook A Pie In The Oven?
Several facts affect the pie-baking time. These factors can be the type of pie, size, filling kind of pie, the temperature of the oven during baking pie, etc. The most crucial fact for baking pie is the pie type. Depending on all these factors, we will see how long to bake pies.
Factor-1: Type of Pie
There are different types of pie, and the most common pie types are pre-baked crust pie, single-crust pies, twice-baked pies, pies with top and bottom crust. Here, we will learn the time required to bake all these pie types.
Pre-baked crust Pie
Some pies need to bake pie crust separately before cooking the whole pie. These crusts are also known as blond-baked pie crust. Most of these pies have cream fillings that are stored in the refrigerator. So, you have to bake the pie crust thoroughly before placing the filling inside.
- So, take the pie crust and cover it in a foil sheet.
- Place the foil-covered pie crust inside the oven and set the temperature at 375-degree Fahrenheit.
- Now, bake it for 25 minutes.
- Then remove the foil paper from the crust and place the crust in the oven again. Bake it for the next 10 minutes. Check if the crust is golden brown.
- While baking the crust, it can form bubbles.
- Try to prevent bubble formation. Some recommendation says to put dry beans over the crust after covering it with foil paper. It keeps weight on the crust and prevents bubble formation. Another way is to pierce the crust using a fork. It allows the air to escape and avoid making bubbles.
Single Crust Pie
Making a single crust for pie is a more straightforward method comparably. People make chess pie, pecan pie, or similar in this process.
- To make this single-crust pie, you have to make the mixture by putting all the ingredients into unbaked crust and then placing the tray into the oven.
- To make this pie, you have to set the oven temperature between 375 degrees to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You have to cook the pie for 35 minutes to 65 minutes in this temperature setting. After baking 35 minutes, check the pie condition and if it is not cooked yet, cook for more time.
Twice baking of pie involves two steps: blind baking of crust, first and then baking the entire pie with filling.
- So, first, cover the crust using a foil paper sheet and place it in the oven. Put weight at the middle part of the crust on the foil sheet cover.
- Set the temperature for the first baking at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake it for 25 minutes.
- Now remove the baked pie crust and add the filling in the center of the crust.
- Place the pie again into the oven and set the temperature at 375 degrees Fahrenheit again. Now, bake it for 25 minutes.
It takes 50 minutes to bake in two steps.
These are the most adorable pie types. People love it the most for double-crust coating. Yes, there is a crust at the bottom and a lattice-style crust at the top. Though the time range for cooking this type of pie differs for different recipes, most recipes suggest baking this filled pie for 45 minutes to one hour at 375 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
How To Know The Doneness Of Pie
Maintaining the time range for baking the pie in the oven is an excellent practice to have perfection. If you know the time requirement, you can be sure that you can reach near doneness or complete doneness of pie.
So, you need to learn how to find the doneness of pie. When you are near the finish of cooking time, you can check the sign of doneness of pie and then remove the pie from the oven if it is perfectly cooked. There are a few techniques to check the doneness of pie. They are-
- Crust acts as the symbol of pie cooking doneness. When it is rich golden brown, it is done. Check the color of the pie crust using the glass pie plate. If you do not have the pie plate, you can only check it with visual cues. Check both the top and bottom crust.
- Next, you can check the fillings of the pie. It is hard to find the doneness of the stuffing by visual cues. In the case of the fruit pies, you can look for bubbling of pie crust. They bubble and jiggle during baking in apple pies, pumpkin pies, and pecan pies. When the cooking time is finished, you can shake the pan slightly. If the jiggling is off, then the pie is ready.
- Another way to check the doneness of fillings is to prick the toothpick at the center of the pie. If the toothpick is clean, then the pie is done. If cooking is not finished, the toothpick will have a wet pie filling touch.
Check the doneness of the pie in the last few minutes.
Factor-2: Filling Type of Pie
Depending on the filling type inside of the pie, cooking time varies. It is because different items take different time ranges to be cooked. That’s why apple pie, blueberry pie, meat pie, or chicken pie have an additional time required to bake.
Apple pie takes pretty long to be baked. Here, you need to lower the temperature of the oven halfway.
First, take a baking sheet and then place the pie on it. Baking sheets will catch the drippings as the apple pie is known to produce drippings at cooking time. Then bake it for 20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit and check if it is becoming light brown. Now stop the oven and lower the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Now, bake it for another 45 minutes to one hour.
When the juice of the apple pie is bubbling markedly, it is time to check the pie’s doneness. Using the instant-read thermometer, you can be sure of the doneness. If the thermometer reading is 200 degrees Fahrenheit, then it is done.
While cooking an apple pie, you can burn it or make the crust overcooked. The long time for cooking the pie filling can heat the crust more. In that case, you can set an aluminum foil cover on the top part of the pie to cover the crust. It will prevent extra burning. You have to place the foil paper when the pie is half cooked.
Blueberry pie is another fruit pie. It also takes more time to be baked. Like the apple pie, blueberry pie is also baked at 375 degrees for 60 to 80 minutes.
At the last moment, when it is time to be finished, the crust will turn into golden brown color, and the filling will bubble and jiggle at the edges of the pie and through the vents. At this condition, bake the pie for the next five minutes more. Then stop the oven and remove it to serve.
It does not take long to cook the meat pie as the fruit pies. According to the recipe, you can cook meat pies within one hour to one and a half-hour time. It is wise to cook the bottom crust first and cook the entire pie well.
- To bake meat pies, you must preheat the oven for 5 minutes.
- Then place the pie at the bottom rack of the oven and bake it for 30 minutes. It will cook the pie bottom crust.
- Then stop the oven and transfer the pie into the top rack of the oven.
- Now, bake it for another 25 minutes to 35 minutes until the crust turns golden brown.
- When you find that the filling is bubbling, jiggling, and steaming, you can assume it is done.
If you use chicken as filling in your pie, it will take only 45 to 50 minutes to bake.
- First, decorate the pie with the necessary leaves and egg brush on the crust.
- Now make a hole at the top center of the pie. It will let the steam escape during baking. It will cook the fillings faster and adequately.
- Now preheat the oven for five minutes and place the pie inside the oven.
- Bake the pie for 45 to 55 minutes. When the crust has turned golden brown, you can be sure of the doneness.
Enjoy yummy meat pie.
Factor-3: Size of Pie
Depending on pie size, baking time varies. Smaller pies are baked faster than larger pies. If you place your pie in a preheated oven with foil or parchment paper covering, then the cooking time on different sizes will be like-
- For only 5-inches pie, it will take 10 15 minutes to be baked at 350 to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For 9-inches, pie will take 15 to 25 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For 12 inches pie, it may take 30 to 40 minutes at the same temperature range.
- A 16 inches pie may take 50 minutes to one hour or more at the same temperature range.
Depending on the type of filling, the time range will vary, as mentioned above.
Reheating The Pies
Within the baking time, learning reheating time for pies is also essential. We store pies for later use. We also need to reheat store-bought pies or frozen pies.
If you put the metal tin of store-bought pies directly in the microwave, it can make the crust of the pie soggy. It is not wise to reheat the pie in the oven or microwave. You should follow the necessary steps to reheat them.
Reheat Fully Baked Pies
- First, preheat the oven at 350 degrees for five minutes.
- Then place the pie on parchment paper or foil paper. Place another parchment paper sheet lightly over the pie top.
- Now place the pie into the preheated oven.
- If the pie is small, heat it for 10 to 15 minutes. If it is 9 inches or larger, heat it for 15 to 25 minutes.
- You can check if it is heated well by using a knife. Poke the kitchen knife at the center of the pie and then hold it inside for about 15 to 20 seconds. Now gently remove it and touch the knife on your lips. It is done if it seems hot enough to your taste preference.
Reheat Unbaked Frozen Pies
If you want to bake frozen unbaked pies, you have to take time to defrost them. Remove the frozen pies from the freezer and keep them in the fridge overnight. It will defrost thoroughly. When you want to bake it, preheat the oven for five minutes setting the temperature at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now bake the pie. If it is 5 to 6 inches in size, bake it for 30 minutes. If it is 9 inches or more, bake it for 50 to 60 minutes. Frozen unbaked pies have cooked fillings. That’s why it takes less time. So, when the pie crust turns golden brown, the pie is done and fully cooked.
Everyone likes pies, maybe, with various filling types. But for the perfect pie, you need to know how long to cook a pie in the oven. Undercooked pies are not pleasant. It tastes raw and soggy in touch. Fully cooked pies have crisp enough crust with properly cooked fillings. Different factors change the time required to bake pies, so it is essential to know it for other pies.
In this article, you have learned detailing knowledge on pie cooking time in the oven. So, make a proper form of pie and have great taste.