Banana bread is a sweeter and softer version of regular bread. People like banana bread more to have for lunch or breakfast. But some people need to have bread without an egg. They may have health issues or restrictions on eggs. Then how to make banana bread without egg? Is it possible?
Yes, it is absolutely possible. Though there are some essential acts of eggs to make the bread enough fluffy and soft, it is possible to get similar banana bread without an egg.
You can make eggless banana bread, maintaining the proper steps. So, know the procedure of making eggless banana bread in the oven here. All the details are included.
How To Make Banana Bread Without Eggs
Bread in many different recipes makes a difference in taste, softness, and aroma. Is it possible it make a banana bread without eggs? Actually, what is the reason for adding the egg to banana bread?
There are some critical tasks of eggs to bread. It works as the binder of all other ingredients used in banana bread. Eggs make the bread rise through the air-trapping process.
Bread gets an excellent structure with a soft, fluffy, velvety texture. This silky texture comes from the egg yolk. It is because egg reduces the cooking temperature and makes the bread naturally smoother. For the egg, banana bread also gets a unique flavor.
You may forget the egg to add. Then the banana bread will be dry faster and become less soft. The rich consistency comes from eggs in bananas.
That’s why banana bread without egg is not recommended. If the recipe needs an egg, you should add the egg and follow as instructions. But if you need to make eggless banana bread, there is a way. Yes, no worry, you can make soft and tender bread without an egg, but you have to learn to add egg substitutes.
If you can make eggless banana bread, it will be okay with the right recipe and instructions. Without the egg, the bread will make less allergy load and less calorie count when you can make it still fluffy. But how is it?
Let’s follow the rich recipe for eggless banana bread.
Steps To Make Eggless Banana Bread
Follow the steps below to make the banana bread in the oven.
Step-1: Collect Ingredients
To make eggless banana bread, you need the items below-
- Sunflower seeds
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
Flour: The organic whole wheat flour is the best choice as it is high in mineral and fiber content. But you can use any flour, including all-purpose flour, others. You also can use half of the all-purpose flour and half of whole wheat flour.
Oil: A wide variety of oil works great to make banana bread. You can use safflower oil, rice bran oil, sunflower oil, and olive oil. The coconut oil also works well.
Sugar: In Banana bread, brown sugar, unrefined organic sugar, or even granulated white sugar is correct. You can use any of them or other types of sugar like brown sugar, jaggery sugar, palm sugar, white sugar, coconut sugar, etc.
Flavorings: The flavorings depend on the taste preference mostly. You can add cinnamon powder, vanilla extract, or nutmeg. Though the vanilla extract is necessary to add to reduce the smell of banana, other flavorings are optional.
Sunflower seeds: This is another optional item that you can avoid. Since you are not adding egg, sunflower seeds, or other nuts, these seeds will add extra nutrition. You can add any edible seeds here.
Step-2: Prepare the Oven and Make the Banana Bread Mixture
- At first, you have to preheat the oven for at least 20 minutes. So, set the oven’s temperature at 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Now start the oven in preheating mode.
- During the oven is preheating, you can make the mixture for bread. First, take bananas. You can take two large or 4 medium-sized bananas, peel them off, and slice them. Place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Now add half a cup or less or more of sugar into the mixing bowl. This amount of sugar depends on the sweetness of the sugar and your taste preference. For example, raw sugar or brown sugar has more sweetness while white sugar is less sweet comparably. Apart from that, if you like a sweeter taste, you can add more sugar. Besides, some sugars add extra flavor like maple syrup, jaggery, palm sugar, or coconut sugar. Consider this flavor too.
- Then you have to mash the bananas with sugar. Use a masher or a form to mash them into a smooth mixture. Since there should not be any chunks or lumps in the mix, you can use a blender to make the smooth consistency of this batter. There can be some fine threads of bananas, and it is normal. These threads are okay.
- Next, add half a cup of oil into the banana mixture. Here, you consider the smell of the oil. If you can use neutral-flavored oil, there will be no extra smell or flavor of oil. Sunflower oil is a neutral-flavored oil. Avoid the coconut oil as it can make the mixture denser than required. It is because coconut oil quickly solidifies at low temperatures. If you think of keeping the batter or mixture in the refrigerator, you cannot use the coconut oil at all.
- After adding the oil, stir the banana mixture faster for 2 to 3 minutes. Use a spatula or wired whisk to mix the oil smoothly and evenly.
- Now add the flavoring as you like. Add 1/4th tea spoon of ground cinnamon powder if you want cinnamon powder. If you like to add nutmeg, add two to three pinches. Add half a teaspoon of vanilla powder into the mixture, or add one teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Now, stir well to mix the vanilla and flavorings with the banana puree. Whisk fast and make a smooth puree with the addition of flavorings.
Now you have to make the bread batter using the powdery item.
Step-3: Prepare Banana Bread Batter
- First, take 1.5 cups of flour, half a teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of baking powder, and salt by taste into a sieve. Now slowly sieve all the powdery ingredients and place them into the mixing bowl where you have kept the banana puree. Try to place the sieved items on the wet puree evenly. Otherwise, it can make lumps.
- Now take a plastic spatula and gently mix the dry ingredients by folding the items. Do not whisk or stir the ingredients. This step is essential. You should not stir or whisk and keep the speed steady and slow. Fast stirring will deflate the batter and make chunks and lumps. Take enough time and fold the mixture slowly and gently.
- When the dry ingredients are mixed well, check if it is a thick texture. It should not be flat. Above mentioned item amount will make a perfect mixture consistency. When the mixture is ready, do not fold it more as it can make the batter gluten to be stranded. Then it will create a doughy texture in the baked bread.
- This batter should look have volume and not be stingy. If it seems thicker or dry, you have to add 1/4th cup of warm water or nut milk. It can happen for different flour textures even if you have added enough ingredients and done all the proper steps. So, do not worry and add a little water.
- If you like the extra flavor of nuts or seeds or other ingredients, you can add them to this batter. Many things make the bread richer, like sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts, dry fruits, chocolate chips, etc. These items depend on your taste and choice. After adding the flavoring ingredients, fold the batter twice to three times.
Now your batter is ready to bake.
Step-4: Bake the Banana Bread Batter
- Now take a lined loaf pan or round cake pan, whatever shape you like. Grease the pan and then pour the bread batter into it. Tap the pan gently twice or thrice to avoid lumps or air bubbles left inside.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven. Bake the banana bread batter for about 30 to 45 minutes at the same temperature you preheated. You have to bake the bread at 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Though the bread should be done in time, you have to keep it in check with a close eye as it can vary from oven to oven. Do not open the oven till the bread is at least 3/4th done. How do you know it? You should not open the oven for the first 30 minutes and maintain the continuity.
- When the bread is close to doneness, it will rise. Then you can open the oven and check it by piercing a toothpick or BBQ skewer. The inserted skewer should come out clean when the bread is done. If there is any sticky batter in the skewer or toothpick, you have to bake the bread doe another five minutes and again check.
- After completing the bread baking, take the pan out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. When it is cool, remove the bread from the pan carefully.
Now the bread is ready to serve after slicing. It is delicious even if it is made without eggs. Serve the bread with tea or coffee or any sweet snacks. If you make the bread using the item mentioned earlier, this bread is enough for four persons.
If you cannot finish the bread once, you can store it. To store the bread, wrap it in plastic wrap or cling film or place it in an air-tight container. Then keep it in the refrigerator. It will be fresh for over one week. It is good to warm the bread before serving.
Egg Substitution In Banana Bread
If you do not like to make eggless bread but need it, you can use the egg substitute. There are several egg substitutes for banana bread. The most commonly used egg substitutes for bread are-
- Apple sauce
- Silken tofu
- Regular or dairy-free yogurt
- Ground flaxseed
- Sweetened condensed milk
Actually, the banana itself acts as the egg substitute for other types of bread. That’s why you can make eggless banana bread without worry.
Before finding the egg substitutes, we need to know what an egg does to banana bread. Egg white helps the bread dough or batter to rise while baking.
Egg yolk lightens the texture slightly to prevent crumb formation by tenderizing effect. If you do not want to add egg, you have to find substitutes that help tenderize and make it fluffy.
In this case, silken tofu, dairy-free yogurt, buttermilk, and condensed milk are suitable substitutes. Apple sauce or flax seeds are also helpful when not finding other replacements.
When you decide to add the egg substitute, you should be careful about the quantity. Try to add precisely the same amount of egg substitute as an egg.
Generally, an egg is 1/4th cup or 4 tablespoons or 60 grams in weight. So, add a similar quantity of egg substitute. For example, if you had to add two eggs to your banana bread recipe, you must add half a cup or eight tablespoons of the egg substitute.
Why Do People Substitute The Eggs Or Make Eggless Banana Bread?
There are a few reasons people avoid eggs in banana bread or other items. The most common reason is that people are running out of an egg in their kitchen during the banana bread baking
Other reasons can be health issues, dietary restrictions, or culture. Yes, there can be medical restrictions on eggs for some health problems. Some culture asks to avoid egg in some foods.
The egg can make an end product perfect and smooth. But we can make the banana bread without an egg. There can be slight changes or differences in taste and texture, but they will be similar, and the effect will be minor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it problematic to add too much banana to bread mistakenly?
Ans: Yes, slightly. The addition of too much banana to banana bread puree, the bread will be heavy. It will be damp at the center part. It will look undercooked and unappealing.
So, you should not add more bananas than the recipe needs. You can keep the leftover bananas in the freezer for later use.
Q: Why does the banana bread crumble?
Ans: If you add too much butter or oil in the batter or more leavening ingredients like baking powder or baking soda, the banana bread will be crumbly and coarser in texture. Excess use of baking powder also creates a soapy and bitter taste.
Q: Is it reasonable to add more egg than required in banana bread?
Ans: It is not always good to add more eggs to the banana bread. Yes, there are benefits of egg addition, like that egg helps the bread rise, soften it, and make it light. But the excess egg can make the bread rise too high and fluffier.
Q: What is the shelf-life of homemade banana bread?
Ans: If you store the banana bread correctly, it will stay fresh for one or two days at room temperature. You have to wrap the leftover bread loaf using plastic wrap and keep it in a cool place in the kitchen. The bread will stay fresh for over one week in the refrigerator.
Q: Why does the bread batter need to be folded, not whisked?
Ans: If you whisk the banana bread batter with dry powdery ingredients, it will lose air which is essential to keep the volume and texture right. Folding slowly will preserve the volume and make the banana bread a fuller texture.
Q: What type of bananas is suitable for banana bread?
Ans: When the banana is appropriately ripe, it is suitable for banana bread. Sometimes, we do not like to have overripe bananas which are too brown. These bananas are also perfect for making banana bread. These bananas are easy to mash.
Q: What is the main difference between banana cake and banana bread?
Ans: Though banana bread is known to be in the sweet bread category, they are less sweet than banana cake. Banana bread has denser crumbs than banana cakes. Banana cakes are sweeter, softer, and has light crumbs.
How to make eggless bread? You already know the recipe from the discussion mentioned above. Some people may be confused about whether the bread will be proper in texture, taste, and flavor.
There is no doubt about the taste. You will get the full taste of banana bread as you have used the right proportion of all the ingredients.
Egg substitutes also work fine in making the correct banana bread texture and structure. So, make your eggless banana bread and enjoy it with your family.